Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Student Success Statement

           A Choice: Poverty or Prosperity
"I hated poverty. Poverty is more of a choice than anything else, and I can change that (Poverty). It depends upon how hard I want to work, and I decided that I would change it"
                                                              - Dr. Ben Carson
I don't agree with this statement by Dr. Ben Carson. Poverty is not a choice because not everyone has the opportunity to change it as he did. Some people work their hardest to be able to get out of poverty. Yes, there are ways to "get out" such as going to college and getting a good career with a good salary. The thing we don't think about is how they are going to be able to afford college, yes there are loans but that just makes them in debt that will only add on to their poverty. I just don't think his choice of words in the statement is right and I think he should have worded it differently. Some people in other countries are really poor and aren't able to go to school because of a lack of money and have to work from a young age. So his statement is wrong poverty is not a choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment